Disappointing defeat in final minutes of game

Match report Ashford v Flutes O45 league 26th March

Result – lost 3-2
Disappointing defeat in final minutes of game
There are a lot of tired muscles at this end of the season and a trip to the Heathrow area on a wet, windy Sunday had us wishing we were taking off to sunny climes rather than wielding a hockey stick.  
A heavy shower during the warm-up did not improve our mood –  nevertheless, at the start of the game we settled fairly quickly producing some good linking moves. It was therefore against the run of play when a well-struck ball was picked up by their left forward and dispatched across the circle Their incoming player caught us out with a very  well timed reverse sweep and we were a goal down.  
This definitely galvanised us and we were able to up the intensity and take control of the game.  Our good linking play was rewarded 20 minutes in when a series of excellent passes concluded with a slip from Jo W to Sarah C who ran in to slot the ball home.  Minutes later a great drive from Jill down the right produced a well struck ball across the circle to find Karen a metre from the goal-line and she duly tapped the ball home with her first touch of the game.
A couple more chances came and went with Flutes finishing the first half on top.
The second half saw a change of fortune with several more players arriving to boost the oppo’s bench.  The impact was immediate with Ashford wresting control of the midfield.  We worked hard to regroup and break down their moves but tenacious play from their incoming centre-mid and their constant use of a high player made it harder for us to play our flowing game from the first half.  The game ebbed and flowed and we did have chances but the momentum was with them.  The mids and defence battled hard but in the final quarter of the game a skirmish in front of goal saw a deflected ball fly into the roof of the net to equalise the score.  
The game was notable for producing very few short corners but with Ashford now sensing the chance of a win they put the burners on and with minutes to go secured their second PC which produced a disputed goal.  Despite protestations and some discussion the goal stood and we barely had time to restart before the final whistle.  
It was a disappointing end to our O45s season but the positives are that we played some lovely hockey and our Captain Lynn Bryden took to the field for the first time in nine months.
Next Sunday sees the culmination of our Flutes season and it’s a biggie when we face Redlands away in Bristol in the semi final of the EH O55s Cup.