Magnums take the win in tough H&W rematch!

Match Report : Cliff Peck

Result : WIN 3-2 vs Ham & West

Following on from last weeks 7 3 hammering of Hampstead & Westminster, this match was always going to be a lot more difficult. They were at home and up for revenge with a much changed and stronger team.

I would like to thank not only our President Dickie B for offering to go through the pain barrier , given his knee issues but also Tony Mastroddi , Pom , Patti and Robin Tullo for helping us out in our hour of need,
following several drop outs mainly due to injuries sustained the previous weeks.

The game started with H&W on the front foot , our defence stood firm as they began to take pot shot from all angles.

Magnums on the other hand were not quite all singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak . Following some neat passing around our ‘D’ a shot from just inside found the back of our net midway through the half. Some 5/10 mins later we were two down from a close range hit following a backstick pass ( not seen by the umpires), Half time 0 2.

During the interval we reorganised , moving players into different positions so as to counter the H&W threat. Within minutes of the restart the Magnums began to turn the tables in our favour . Following
some smart play from Ben R and Tony M ,with tyreless running form Jez L the ball was threaded through the H&W defence , picked up by Martyn A who got round their left back , slotting the ball across the ‘D’ to none other than Ian Grammer ( he turned up late into the first half) who slotted it into the net from close range , 1 2 . Was the comeback on ?

Magnums excerpted more and more pressure pushing them further and further back , following some smart saves from their goalkeeper ( who unbeknown to us until after the match , was 50 years old) , Tony M ‘s lob over the oncoming keeper landed close to the line where none other than Ian was waiting to tap the ball home, 2 2 .

Not content to sit back we continued to push forward , the occasions H&W did get into our ‘D’ Dickie , Martin , Tim and Graeme W were there to deal with the threat admirably . Some 50/50 decisions went the way of our opponents handing them a series of short corners , all came to no avail due to some fine defensive play. Following one of those short corners the ball was passed upfield with pace , Martyn received the ball on our right , he once again skinned the left back , crossing the ball away from the reach of the keeper , straight to Ian G who with a swing of his stick connected with the ball smashing it into the left side of the open goal . Cries of delight and disbelief, Ian had got a hat trick and we took the lead 3 2 .

Both sides cancelled each other out over the remaining minutes , H&W desperately trying to get the equaliser with Magnums doing what was required to thwart their efforts .

The comeback was complete.

Well done to every one of the Southgate Magnums you all played exceptionally well . M.O.M went to Dickie B , good to see you back in Southgate colours after your lay off .