Mens Matches w/e 12.12.20

1’s friendly vs Wapping 1’s (report by Simon Parker)

M1s draw 3-3 with Wapping after dominating the match for large periods.

After a six week break, the M1s could be forgiven for being a little rusty, and so it proved as they welcomed Wapping to Trent Park for a post-lockdown friendly. Southgate started the brighter and bossed the first quarter with Charles Hamilton opening the scoring to give us the lead with a toma from the left of the circle. Jonny Maunder extended the lead towards the end of the quarter converting a penalty corner. The second quarter was more of the same except Wapping got one back against the run of play to make the half time score 2-1.

The third quarter saw the M1s play their best hockey of the match making solid connections across the pitch which lead to a number of good circle entries. It was from one of these that Hamilton won a penalty stroke hitting a defenders foot on the line with the keeper out of position. Up stepped Alex Williams to convert the penalty restoring our two goal lead. The M1s continued in a similar vein into the fourth quarter, winning a hatful of penalty corners but their inability to convert any was to cost them dearly as Wapping proceeded to score two to equalise with their only circle entries of the second half.

With the National League not re-starting to mid-February at the earliest, it was a good opportunity to give the squad a run-out and remind them how to play.     

2’s vs Tulse Hill and Dulwich 1’s away

Score 2-2 (d)

5th in South League Division 2 Premier West

Report from Luke Collier

The 2s game was a very lively affair this week against a well organised Tulse Hill team.

Southgate seemed to have most of the meaningful possession for the first 25 mins which is why all watching were left scratching  their heads as to how we came to be 2 goals down.

As is so often with the 2s , once they slowed the pace and waited for the gaps to appear, they then started to dominate. I think all would agree that our finishing was far from clinical today but an excellent PC scored by Drew Burkin brought us within touching distance by half time.

The second half saw Southgate pile on the pressure and it was only a matter of time before we scored again. Unfortunately that time came much later than we had hoped, about 2 mins before the end, scored with an excellent deflection by Adam Grout.

It ended 2-2 and was a good performance to come from 2-0 down but I think all the lads will be disappointed we didn’t take 3 points.


3-8 (L) vs Bromley & Beckenham 2’s- 

3rd in Premier Division of London league

The 3’s lost 8-3 to a strong BromBeck 2s. Jon Dann guesting in goal off the back of his 5s win in the previous game on the water pitch. The game was toe-to-toe at 4-3 until the last 10 minutes then the experience and superiority of the opposition shone through to take the game out of reach of the battling Southgate 3s side, who had a number of players playing in unfamiliar roles.

They go into the Christmas break lying a strong 3rd in the Premier Division of the London League, just two points away from the league leaders. 

5’S vs Clapham Common 2’s 

5-3 (W) 

7th in London League division 4

  • Goals Ivan (2), Haimish, Oscar, Lucca

Report from Jon Dann:

1-0 Ivan disguised flick to the bottom right

2-0 Exceptionally executed zig zag with ST for Ivan goal

Then 2-1. John helping them score


Second half 

They scored. John beaten from edge of D. Bottom corner


Then 3-2. Ballsed up short went to Ben who picked Haimish for a delicate finish 

3-3 Jon somehow missed a cross

4-3 ST with some wizardry and then a blazed cross straight to Lucca who finished with aplomb

5-4 Oscar out of nowhere lashed a reverse stick screamer into the bottom corner.



Vs Spencer Supervets at Home

Score 4-1 (w)

5th in Masters (O50’S) Div 1, London League league

Report from captain Jatin

“We won 4-1. Really had to work hard to get the 2nd goal but after that we managed to impose on the game and create further chances to come out with a convincing win.”

TANKARDS vs Bishop’s Stortford 6s       (Away)   

Score:  Lost 2-0         

(MoM – Raj Saha)           

 5th in East League Division 9SW

Tankards vs Bishop’s Stortford 6s – Match Report (by Jez Lavy)

(photo: Tony Mastroddi rallying the troops with Anthony, Pom, Chris James and Mark looking on)

A drizzly, drab Bishop’s Stortford was the venue for a good tempered but ultimately unsuccessful Tankards outing.  The first half was a fairly even affair with both teams having a number of attacking opportunities which mirrored the ongoing Brexit negotiations – spirited and filled with good intentions but failing at the last!  The defence, well marshalled by a severely coiffed Mark Thomsett held firm until the wily Stortford number 11 slipped his marker (me) and speculatively crossed the ball from the right.  The onrushing centre forward over ran the ball but stuck out his stick more in hope than expectation and the ball looped in the air in a perfect parabola over Nigel Dixon in goal. One – nil.  Half time came and went and a re-energised Tankards team laid siege to the Stortford goal.  Chances, which on other days would have bulged the net, were saved or just wide.  Meanwhile a young Stortford side were beginning to make the most of their superior fitness and a second goal came on the break. Two – nil. Down but not out.  Raj Saha, hitherto sweeping up just in front of defence started to exert his influence further up field and one memorable attack resulted in Tony Mastroddi just thwarted by a very agile, for his age, keeper with James Findlay sweeping in the rebound only to be denied by the post.  And so it was never meant to be.  The game finished.  An enjoyable game played with good grace on a good surface.  Man of the Match Raj with honourable mentions (votes) for David James, Jez Lavy and Nigel Dixon.

3A vs Hertford 2s – Match Report 

Score:  Lost 5-1      

(MoM – Sam Levene)    

11th in East League Division 4SW 

A tough draw for the 3A’s pulling the 5pm Sand Pitch slot on a dark December day. When the lights from the adjacent water pitch went out- an eerie isolated atmosphere drew a hardcore hardy band of SHC support like moths to a flame.

A hybrid mix of players across club lines were selected for this clash with league leaders Hertford 2’s.

It just wasn’t the 3A’s night and a much closer game than the scoreline suggests. Our second half performance saw some very good hockey and a dominant performance from captain Will Hargrove and tireless work from to name just one- Josh Chandler who seemed to be everywhere. Alessandro Onano with the goal and another strong performance. Tom Murphy on a guest visit from the 4’s showed class in the middle of the pitch from first whistle to last.

One more game for the 3A’s away next week and some unfinished business to take them into the Christmas break. Thanks as always to our umpires and our dogged supporters.

Tonight sport was the winner. Alas today Southgate 3A’s were not.