Lum hits the heights in front of goal as Southgate take back a point from a feisty Beeston encounter.

Mens Hockey League Premier Division

Southgate vs Beeston match report

by Alastair Whatley

Date: 30th September

Venue: Nottingham Hockey Centre

Result: 2:2

In an exhilarating encounter played in torrid weather between Southgate Hockey Club M1 and Beeston M1 Hockey Club, both teams showcased their skills and determination, resulting in an exciting 2-2 draw, although it was perhaps the visitors who rued some missed chances to walk away feeling that it was an opportunity missed. The match took place at Beeston on the 30th of September, with a passionate but wet crowd eagerly anticipating a thrilling contest.

The game pushed back with Beeston showing their attacking intent right from the start. Within just t minutes, they earned a penalty corner and Jamie Rawlings for Beeston capitalised on the opportunity, taking an early 1-0 lead for the homeside. Southgate found themselves on the back foot but quickly regrouped, determined to make a comeback.

As the match progressed into the second quarter, Southgate’s Teague Marcano returning from International duty in Trinidad found the back of the net in the 26th minute with a fine drag flick to equalise for the visitors. The goal further boosted Southgate’s confidence, and they looked well poised as the half time whistle blew.

The second half saw the game become increasingly testy as both teams fought tooth and nail for the advantage as the weather continued to rain down in Nottingham. It was Richmond Lum though who once again displayed his prowess and poise in front of goal by scoring a fantastic goal that sent the ball flying high into the top netting of Taylor Craige’s goal, levelling the scoreline. The goal injected a surge of energy into the Southgate team, and they started to dominate the proceedings, creating several scoring opportunities.

However, Beeston, unwilling to accept defeat, fought back hard.  With just four minutes remaining on the clock and Southgate down to 10 men, they managed to find an equaliser, rescuing a crucial point as Henry Croft deftly finished past Anton van Loggerenberg. The late goal left Southgate disappointed as despite a concerted push to find the winner, time eluded them and Kwan and his side made the long journey back to London perhaps rueing some missed chances.

A true spectacle for the neutral spectators, who were treated to an intense battle between two competitive sides. Captain John Sterlini and his team now prepare to take on Surbiton who will be looking for a reply after their close defeat at the hands of Holcombe at Sugden road on Saturday.